View Single Post
Old 04-02-2020, 01:00 PM   #1
bang
Human being with feelings

Default wayback, a fluid live looping delay

wayback, a fluid live looping delay

hi folks! coming out of the cave for a bit to share a new gem of sorts. this one just sort of happened. wayback is a minimalist audio delay for live looping, with warp, which shifts the delay in time! wayback blends a basic delay with the essential abilities of a looper, while staying as close as possible to the delay paradigm. warp, copy & extend operations use a big circular buffer to revert to prior audio & manipulate multiple loops. wayback supports external fx on feedback. live looping controls are crossfaded to avoid clicks and even transitions. the ui is semi-scaleable with light and dark modes. there are keyboard shortcuts for essential live controls & an illuminating buffer scanner.

i've been doing echo/loop centric ambient for quite a while. wayback began as a way to replace a copy protected delay with something portable. i just needed freeze and external feedback fx. that wasn't too hard, and i was back up and running with homegrown delays. it was simple, just echo & repro & a generic Js gui. but... source code is addictive. some accidental synergies are too cool to ignore. :^) warp was 'just' an 'easy' evolution of the big circular buffer i'd used for smooth length changes. ha! early warp experiments were exciting. warp is time travel in a history of past echoes! but making warp work well was one essential cool bit after another. and so, wayback.

i started looping ages ago on an Obie EDP. it's clever, powerful and complicated. too much so for me these days. for quite a while i've been using more primitive 'tape' style delays. (Frippertronics anyone? :^) this simpler approach facilitates more organic, fluid 'looping' for me. this is the basis of wayback. all the loopy bits stay as close as possible to the tape echo model, vs an EDP style DAW model. this has limitations, but can be more immediate and agile.

download wayback here: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/38738/wayback.zip

wayback quickstart & users guide at: http://bangzero.org/wayback/guide

latest release and install info in README.txt. contextual help is shown below the wayback controls when the window is tall enough, with some details. the scanner is your friend. :^)

enjoy! /dan

ps- wayback is built on a couple of maybe useful Js pseudo-classes. wbmachine.jsfx-inc implements all the wayback delay bits, including warp. ccslider.jsfx-inc is a wrapper gui for Js sliders. no docs, but questions welcome.

core controls

settings, dark mode

keyboard macros

Last edited by bang; 11-08-2020 at 08:20 AM.
bang is offline   Reply With Quote