View Single Post
Old 05-09-2020, 03:19 AM   #25
brk303
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cableaddict View Post
Re using laptops for live use:

Fine for DJ'ing, but maybe not great for all complex band type setup. No room for lots of hard drives, minimal cooling, etc.
I use it live with my rock band, a 90 track project with lots of VST processing and custom in ear mix for each member. It has 3 SSD drives.

Quote:
But the big problem is if you have to gig outdoors in bright sunlight, where most laptop LCD's aren't bright enough. (Unless you have a Macbook Pro.)
We practice setup at rehearsals, so I don't have to look at the screen, or even open the laptop once the show starts.

Quote:
And if you ever do a gig outside in August, with no shade covering, well good luck. I've seen lots of laptops overheat and shut down.
This is true, that's why you have to monitor your CPU temperature when you practice and leave some temperature headroom to account for a sunny day.

Quote:
IMO, they're not worth the small bit of convenience.
Obviously, I disagree, but you have to plan well, know what you're doing and practice. The key is to carefully monitor your CPU usage and temperatures. You want to squeeze as much performance as you can out of it, but not more

This is my live setup:

Clevo 15" P751 with delided i9900k, 64GB RAM and 3 SSD drives.
Rack contains RME UCX, Behringer ADA 8200, and Sennheiser wireless mic and monitoring for the singer.

We have a rather big 90 track project with lots of VST processing and it works great at low latency.

So it's doable if you know what you're doing.
I can provide more info if anyone is interested.

Last edited by brk303; 05-09-2020 at 03:28 AM.
brk303 is offline   Reply With Quote