View Single Post
Old 06-24-2017, 11:26 AM   #18
Dannii
Human being with feelings

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocadomix View Post
ReaDave, sounds like a good selection. If I was to get a new machine though, I would select some other options that may be more cost-effective while sacrificing virtually nothing.

First, I would go with a i7-7700 or just plain i5.
That was my initial thought but I want the option of overclocking in case I decide to experiment later on.
Quote:
Then, I would replace the Gold-rated PSU with a Bronze (it's just an efficiency rating, doesn't affect performance).
There are two reasons I went with this one. The first is better efficiency generally = less cooling requirements for the same power output and potentially less noise.
The second reason is that my home and studio is running from a custom solar/battery install so efficiency when running my studio on batteries is important.
Every little bit adds up.

Quote:
Third, I would get a lower-frequency RAM. Last time I researched on it, RAM frequency had virtually no effect on performance - a counterintuitive fact. Theoretically, this may have changed with the introduction of the DDR4 standard but I doubt it did.
You might have a point here but it didn't really add much to the overall cost so I just went with the top spec in this class.

Quote:
The z270 chipset is a great choice, but I tend to distrust Asus products (I'm a computer tech and have my reasons) so I would go for a safer bet which is Gigabyte. Specifically, GA-Z270-HD3P.
I guess we all have varying experiences and our decisions reflect this. I have had some bad experiences in the past with Gigabyte. That might have changed now but in the 17 years and multiple systems I've built and purchased in that time, I've used almost exclusively Asus products and never had an issue.