View Single Post
Old 05-09-2016, 05:11 PM   #1
Lokasenna
Human being with feelings

Default Tutorial: Building a GUI in Lua.

It seems like the majority of scripting questions these days revolve around how to build a GUI; understandable, since ReaScript doesn't have anything built-in to do it with. No matter though, it's not too hard.

We'll have to start with some fairly basic things, but by the time we're done you'll be able to do fancy stuff like this:

Disclaimer:
For the purposes of this tutorial, I'm assuming that the reader is familiar with the basics of Lua. If you aren't, I highly recommend X-Raym's videos for an introduction. Anyone who's watched his videos will also be familiar with the easier-to-read version of the ReaScript API documentation he put together, found here. It may not be up to date depending on when you read this, but personally I keep it open in a window all the time while I'm scripting.

Note: Writing these tutorials and the GUI library took a hell of a lot of time. If you find this useful, please consider clicking the donation link in my signature and tossing a few cents my way.

Table of Contents

1. Creating and maintaining a window
2. Colors
3. Drawing (part 1)
4. Text
5. Getting user input (part 1)
6. Introducing the LS GUI library
7. Example class - Button
8. Tables, classes, and methods
9. Working with strings
10. LS GUI in detail
11. Example classes - TxtBox, Sldr, and Knb
12. Using images
13. Having your script interact with the GUI elements

Other tips and tricks:

Automatically resizing text to fit a given space
Removing an element from the table

General Lua resources:

The Lua 5.3 Reference Manual
Lua-Users.org's tutorials
This cheat sheet and video that Garrick found
...or just our old friend Google. Searching something like "lua return multiple values from a function" will often get you a ton of results. If you're lucky, people will even put comments in their code. If you aren't lucky, you'll be stuck trying to make sense of paragraph-length jumbles of letters and symbols that look like this: (%a+):%s*(%d+)%s+(%a+):%s*(%d+)

Seriously. That's a thing in Lua. Dealing with strings of text gets scary sometimes.

Last edited by Lokasenna; 06-19-2017 at 03:36 PM.
Lokasenna is offline   Reply With Quote