View Single Post
Old 08-19-2019, 12:24 PM   #298
adXok
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
I don't disagree about 2nd and 11th.
By the way, I'm still coming to terms with thinking about notation in 12 tones, so I do think Pashkuli is interesting. Any criticisms I have are part of trying to come to terms with what it's strengths and weaknesses are.
Why single line, why these symbols, etc.; what you think are the strengths and weaknesses of the notation.
What do you mean with "coming to terms with 12 tones"?

Honestly, if you'd like to have visual reference to how the melody flows, in Pashkuli you can simply add a wavy line above. As you can see with the example of wider intervals on the standard staff... It works probably to about a third... then it becomes arbitrary estimation like "it is up" or "it is down" from the previous note if they happen to fall in different bars, then this is even worse to guess exactly. You have to follow the sharp/flat per bar... it is a mess!

As I said above... if you learn the 12 symbols or letters, you will never mistaken which one is higher or lower from the previous, you will spot the intervals immediately - even any two intervals a few bars apart!

You never mistaken the months of the year and if you see them arranged randomly, you will know which two or three are "up or down" from one another!

Regarding the symbols and the names, I think it is pretty much obvious. Letters - latin alphabet starting from B, skipping the vowels and the crazy or harsh sounds like H, J, K, Q.
Shapes are very close to the actual letters for the corresponding note (except for F = Δ). You can spot them yourself, I think.

Last edited by adXok; 08-19-2019 at 02:48 PM.
adXok is offline   Reply With Quote