View Single Post
Old 08-20-2019, 01:21 AM   #313
Pashkuli
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by superblonde.org
what was the background of the note name choice, have example charts been written with the chords to compare to a couple jazz standard in typical notation, what's a beatles' chart look like, how to easily notate the bass player's root, etc.

Why center the notation around a dominant 7th chord, and force other chords to add alternation symbols? Because: it could be considered the most important chord form, for the purposes of a new system. It is the most common chord form in jazz, for example, and that could be considered reason enough to center around it.
The Dominant chord (G7 or X7 in general) is the most resonant chord, which provokes resonance to the whole tonal scale - even to notes outside of the 7-note form. Hence it was called Dominant.
In the standard Music "theory" it is said that "It causes tension and seeks resolution in the Tonic".
That is... meh. I mean, this has to do more with a certain style of music, style of cadences and the movement of the old modes (the one from the Mediterranean area, wrongly called 'greek modes'!). That is why the Dominant chord is good for modulations to other outside chords, other scale structures... (in 12 note system, that is).

I had singing in mind when named the notes as syllables as follows:
Bo, Da, Fe, Gu
Lo, Ma, Ne, Pu
Ro, Sa, Te, Vu

From the pictures attached in previous posts you can see that I deliberately omitted the vowels [i] (like in the word 'lick') and [ə] (like in the word 'lurk') - because they are the hardest to sing (of course in English you do not have a letter for [ə]... ok it is the one in brackets, but you do not use it (it is Latin though)! So with singing in mind.
Grouped by the vowels, they result in augmented arpeggios (Bo-Lo-Ro | Da-Ma-Sa...).

I have not posted it yet, but the chord structures can be derived from a specifically designed matrix, where the chords (in their root inversion) take the form of... Tetris blocks!
The big target like shapes give you the position of each note required and their corresponding inversions on the other side.
You place those shapes into the big Matrix (square) and go on from there. The left diagonal direction (bottom right to top left) of the Matrix is the Chromatic scale. You can find the other structures as well...
There had to be something "insane" about this system, so decided... well, why not.
Placing the X on a note letter from the matrix, gives you the notes for that chord. Haven't thought about rotating them... prob. won't work. Anyway...

Yellow are maj and maj7.
Orange is the Dominant.
Green are the min and min7.
Blue is augmented.
Grey is the half-diminished ø (and "Shades of Grey" dark and white are diminished).
*I am sure you can amend the 9th, 11th and 13th yourselves... not that difficult - just add the appropriate square where it belongs in the "tetris" block shape.

brainwreck made a request for some examples of inversions, so I think that was a good test for this. Writing the Beatles catalogue would be an overkill for me, or any Jazz standards.

Last edited by Pashkuli; 08-20-2019 at 05:29 AM.
Pashkuli is offline   Reply With Quote