View Single Post
Old 12-09-2019, 05:33 PM   #2
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dork Lard View Post
Do you follow some sort of a guide ?

Literally, not making a joke there. I seem to need to cut 200-250 Hz pretty much every time I record acoustic guitar and so on but I do that, because I heard that. If I hear something that needs to be fixed, I grab the best tool to fix it at that time.

Be careful with the term "carve" where EQ is concerned IMHO, thoughtful massaging would be a better way to think about it. Carving is for thanksgiving turkey and poorly recorded source tracks - doesn't mean we shouldn't carve 'something' if we have no choice, but we shouldn't show up to the party with knife in hand if that makes sense. That's not mixing, that's fixing.

So, as others pop in with advice, be sure to stop and listen for what the suggestion is supposed to correct, what it means and how it sounds and most of all, if your ears agree with that in your mix. Don't blindly through prescriptive EQ corrections unless it is also academic. Just urging that the entire idea of mixing is hearing and making necessary adjustments case-by-case as that will almost certainly end up with a better result.

As far as instrument A with instrument B and so on, consider the frequency ranges they both share, if they share them, listen and try to figure if the are competing and if so, how to get them to play well together EQ wise. I know those are broad brush answers but they matter.

Last edited by karbomusic; 12-09-2019 at 05:41 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote