View Single Post
Old 12-26-2019, 10:29 PM   #28
serr
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsjethro View Post
An article I read recently talks about building up the tracks in a mix in order of importance. If the vocal is the most important sound in the mix, and sounds great on its own, try to preserve as much of that sound in the final mix as possible. Add in the next most important track, and if it hides anything important in the vocal, that second track needs to be cut with EQ so that it doesn't compromise the vocal. The trick, apparently, is to mute and unmute the second track while actually concentrating on the vocal sound. This same principle can then be applied as each subsequent track is added in, and this should help make a lot of your EQ decisions feel more logical.

Not bad advice for a rank amateur such as myself.
Following that comment... Don't be afraid of individual tracks that ended up kind of a submix of multiple elements themselves. If there's mad bass bleed in the piano mics, for example. OK, fine. I have piano and the bottom end of the bass from those tracks then! Let's fill in just the top end of the bass from it's isolated track! As opposed to thinking you have to separate the things first and then ending up with mutilated sounds to show for it. More of an example for working with a live recording I suppose.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote