View Single Post
Old 03-22-2012, 01:38 AM   #468
captain_caveman
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
What platform are you using that is so incomplete, and why not ask the developers of that to improve their end? If you'd be coding for e.g. iOS, you have access to the CoreMIDI framework? That's not middleware... Also, you may write "mobile apps" on OS X on Windows, but that is not where you run them.
I wasn't aware that iOS could send MIDI directly to a MIDI port on OSX. That's interesting.

I use Windows and Android though, and that requires an app to be started on Windows that receives on a port that the app is sending wrapped MIDI packets on from the device. In the Windows app you then tell it what port to send the MIDI out on, which is a Virtual MIDI Port so that the application (Reaper) can here them.

So the people with the incomplete platforms are Google and Microsoft. I think we can end all conversation about me contacting them to ask them to get together and implement anything anytime soon.

As far as the application/driver running on the PC is concerned, rtpMIDI uses Bonjour and I have no idea how that works or how to send MIDI to it. I see there is an OSC-MIDI thing for Java out there too, but the end result for users is that they need to install and configure X, Y and Z to run a simple app.

This may not be the case for iOS + OSX, but it is for the vast majority of computer users in the world and also for the majority of smart phone users.

In terms of a standard for sending note information over OSC, there is already a standard called MIDI, eg /MIDIShizzleFollowing/1 STANDARDMIDIMESSAGE.. While this wouldn't be quite as nice as a simple Reaper implementation (eg) /MIDIShizzleFollowing/NoteOn 1 64 127 (1 for port), it would cut out the PITA factor for users.

I hope that's a bit clearer.
captain_caveman is offline   Reply With Quote