View Single Post
Old 12-25-2014, 05:51 PM   #37
whiteaxxxe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjedidiah View Post
because on windows, some plugins want to install to c:\program files\vstplugins, some want to go to a steinberg folder, native instruments plugins want to install themselves to some ass-backward ni folder that no DAW looks for, etc.
in nearly all installers you can change the installation path.

to clear this up: plugins whose installation program writes entries to the registry cant/shouldnt be moved. you run into trouble nearly all the time if the entry in the registry doesnt match the actual path. plugins that consist of one dll can be moved to whereever you want.

and its an act of terror of some developers (luckily there are only a very few) to dictate the path where the installation goes. that is my computer, I am the master of installation paths. what do they think? if they think at all. keep C:\ as clean as possible, there are good reasons to do so. that way - choosing by yourself where the plugin goes - you can be sure, that Reaper/Cubase/WaveLab/whatever finds the plugs.

I dont have an interest in throwing out an APB on every plugin and write that paths all into the preferences.
whiteaxxxe is offline   Reply With Quote