View Single Post
Old 05-10-2019, 05:37 PM   #75
sai'ke
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitsuj View Post
That's cool. The test I did was against a signal without the compressor present and a signal processed by the compressor but with 0dB threshold. That should test only the oversampling.

I know it's a little different but ReEQ's oversampling nulls out in this regard. But I'm decimating. That's what I aimed for because Ableton's EQ8 nulls too and that was the benchmark.
Yeah. If I decimate with these same kernels, like so:

Code:
  downR.updateDownHist(overSampling, inR);
  downL.updateDownHist(overSampling, inL);

spl0 = 2*downL.downSample(overSampling);
  spl1 = 2*downR.downSample(overSampling);

downR.updateDownHist(overSampling, 0);
  downL.updateDownHist(overSampling, 0);
I also null exactly. If I run that same thing twice (so no poly-phase), I already get that very low signal level stuff. I think it's just because of the interpolation. But considering that I'm doing non-linear stuff, I do really need those interpolated samples.

Quote:
Pro-C2 against a track without it on. Not sure what the reason for the result was, could well be a change in amplitude...who knows.
Yeah, strange

Quote:
No, AA in Reacomp was badly broken so they just removed it. I was referring to the behaviour with 0dB threshold or 1:1 ratio.
Heh, well that's one way to solve it
To be honest, I really have to strain to hear a difference between 1x and 2x on most drum material. Only on relatively high pitched leads can I tell the difference.

Quote:
You're welcome. It would be good to get a real compressor aficionado giving an opinion. I think it's a great compressor. A real candidate for go-to. What else does it need? Maybe a filtered side chain? Lookahead? But really, you've done the hard work.

What further plans do you have for it or are you just using it as a testing ground for Squashman?
Filtered side chain would be nice I suppose. I wonder if not oversampling the side chain would be audible.

I'm not super happy with how much space the sliders are already taking though. I could remove the scrolling feature and have it toggle via double click on the graphical part or something. And I'm not sure whether anyone uses the "harsher" mode for instance.

I mean, I was considering implementing the same knobs as Squashman to sort of make this thing more graphical and less slider-y, but I'm not sure if that'd add that much. The nice thing about the sliders is that you can really enter values and that they are pretty easy to use. I honestly find them easier to use than knobs in most cases.