View Single Post
Old 11-27-2017, 09:33 AM   #22
serr
Human being with feelings

Here's another one.

I'm noticing that with my 10.10 system I need to cycle power on my Apogee Rosetta 800 after booting into 10.10. If I forget, certain projects will start erroring out. Not every project. Again with the intermittent business.

One of the things we're dealing with in general is evolved computer systems that can have 3 or 4 different ways to work around any roadblocks. A subsystem crash might not ever get noticed unless you also have something else going on that together crosses the line. OSX is even more evolved with this so now you get into situations where you've had some driver crash but the system is working around it and you are none the wiser.

Remember back in Protools days when you had to buy EXACTLY the computer hardware specified or the system wouldn't run at all? Now that things are getting more flexible and capable and so many things are just plug and play we get surprised when something actually gets an error.

Back in Protools days, you'd rehearse the hell out of any and every small thing before even thinking of trying it in front of a customer! (And everyone would understand when it still crashed after all that.) Now you expect more and just try things on the fly in front of everyone.

I don't mean to be completely dismissive here. There ARE a few GUI related faux pas in Reaper I believe and it would be great to have it jump to another level of impossible perfection. But I honestly think some of the above is the playing field we are on now. A single isolated bug doesn't take the whole computer down and call attention to itself like that anymore. Not for a long time in OSX anyway.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote