View Single Post
Old 09-08-2017, 08:20 PM   #1
radiopoet
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper audio dropouts on playback

Reaper 5.4

Mac Pro Early 2009 4.1
2 Quad Core Intel Xeon 2.26 GHz (8 cores)
12 GB DDR3 ECC 1066 MHz RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 512 MB graphics

Lynx AES 16e PCI-e sound card
Lynx Aurora 16 VT AD/DA converter

Brand new fresh install of OS X 10.10.5, updated, on a brand new Samsung 850 EVO SSD, fresh install and updates of plugs from Waves, Plugin Alliance, Empirical Labs, Kush, Fab Filter, Slate and other reputable companies.

Watched Kenny Gioia vids, read manuals, everything should be set properly for clean playback of an under 40 track production with no VI's, but Slate Reverbs on 2 buses. With just a couple of plugs, and a 1024 block size, it plays clean. If I put like 5 VST3 or AU plugins on the 2 bus, it only makes it about 20 seconds into the track before choking. CPU use total below 9%, RAM use 747 MB, 6 FX 5.03% CPU- this makes no sense to me....

I'm trying to switch from ProTools 12.5 Native and clients are giving me some space to do this. I love Reaper, and will be bitterly disappointed if this isn't going to work in a professional (read: feed my family) environment.

Is this simply a case of not enough Mac, or new enough OS X, and I need more computer, or would this require me to switch to a PC? I track (usually no more than 16 tracks at once), overdub and mix here, and need all of these activities to be rock solid.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jay Hallstrom
http://www.radiopoet.com

Last edited by radiopoet; 09-08-2017 at 08:49 PM.
radiopoet is offline   Reply With Quote