Thread: Adaptive grid
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2021, 09:43 AM   #4
FeedTheCat
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazma View Post
WOW, if the Midi Editor grid size is set to 16px it acts like a "Grid snap settings follow grid visibility" option (that Reaper is missing for the Midi editor) and finally solves the snapping to invisible grid lines problem, which was the Nr. 1 of my biggest Midi editor wishes.
Very interesting. The script uses the minimum grid spacing from the arrange view grid settings. Narrowest = 1x, Narrow = 2x, Medium = 3x etc. This guarantees that you're always snapping to the grid. It was using the same minimum spacing for the MIDI editor as well... which makes little sense. So I changed it to a fixed 15px for the MIDI editor in the latest update. This means that Narrowest will now always be 15px, Narrow = 30px etc. Notes should now always snap to grid with all adaptive modes.

Quote:
It's a pity however that it doesn't draw grid lines below 16px spacing. If it could do that it would resolve Nr.2 of my biggest wishes. But I fear Reaper doesn't allow drawing grid lines in the Midi editor below that value.. or could you work around that somehow?
I looked it into... Doesn't seem to be possible. There's a value in the item chunk (4th value of CFGEDITVIEW) that looks like it could be the grid spacing (it's set to 16). But it's read-only.... so nothing we can do it looks like.

Quote:
Other requests:

Would it by possible to either have an option to make this script act only on the Midi editor or have an option to link grid line spacing and grid snap spacing? I am already pretty happy with the behavior I get in the arrange view by activating "Grid snap settings follow grid visibility" and don't want to miss that.
Can you elaborate? Not sure what you mean by "act only on the MIDI editor"?

Quote:
Would it be possible to allow setting a limit of grid divisions when zooming in? For example don't go higher than 1/128.
Yes, good idea!

Quote:
EDIT

Could we also maybe get an action that toggles triplet grid for the current spacing? Right now it seems to make the script not work properly when doing it via SWS action.

Thanks so much for the great work FTC!
What is it that doesn't work? Can't replicate.