Thread: DAW BUILD 2013
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014, 05:43 PM   #26
Tod
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA View Post
How quiet Hopi? Like... can your daw be a few feet away from ya when cutting vocals?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
yes it is very quiet... the fans barely run unless there is some major load on the cpu... and to do that takes some doing...
Hey hopi, I've ended up procrastinating a little about getting my new computer together. At this point if and when I make the move, I've basically got it pretty much patterned after yours.

But when it comes to quiet, exactly how noisy/noiseless is your computer. Can you sit next to it and record some dialog, or as SEA asked, a vocal.

To help explain why I'm asking, the reason I've procrastinated in getting my own new computer is that I've already got a pretty good computer in my studio. It belongs to one of my old clients that I'm still working with, basically programming all his midi and recording all his songs that he uses to play live. It actually sits in my studio 24/7 which is why I haven't made my own personal move yet.

At any rate, this computer, an i5 quad with 8 gig, win 7, is a computer that Jim Roseberry put together for my client. It's whats called a cube and is very compact (I mean very small) plus extremely light.

I honestly don't know what's inside because I haven't had a reason to take the cover off yet and I've had it for about 3_1/2 years.

I have to say, I don't think any computer is any quieter than this one. On top of that I've never had any problems with working with and recording audio under any circumstances other than the occasional crash due to some unforseen reason. I've got the computer siting on top of a small table just big enough for the computer, screen, and keyboard/mouse. The computer is literally maybe 2&1/2 feet from my ears and I have to listen very hard to hear it. Occasionally I hear the disks do a little mechanical clicking as they shift gears.

I'm sure it's got fans of some kind but I don't hear them. This is all in my control room and I record in there all the time.

With my old setup, I couldn't do this. I've been using computers since back in the mid 80s and have never seen anything like this, this quiet and small.

I guess what I'm trying to say, or better yet asking, what is quiet?

Being able to set up and record vocals without undo noise I think could be called quiet. But better yet, setting up and recording acoustical instruments like guitar, banjo, violin, etc., in stereo with good condenser or ribbon mics is even better.

I think we just need a basis for what quiet is because it can be so important in a control room or any other recording environment.

Heh heh, I'm still fashioning my build according to your's hopi.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote