View Single Post
Old 03-01-2018, 10:11 PM   #61
Not_Here
Human being with feelings

Default :::biting nails:::::

I started late. I failed to get a mix done properly on time to turn in. That doesn't mean I didn't finish one (or three) on my own. The Last time I was mixing anything was back in early 90's on Cool Edit Pro, and some early Sonar.
Anyways, finding Reaper, the Forums, and specifically this contest has been an awesome last 8 weeks. I'm sharing my feedback, to learn how, to give feedback. I want to be able to be constructive in a way that others understand. I may not be up to speed on proper terms or syntax, but in everything is a positive attitude on my part.

I offer 2 of mixes to be picked apart by anybody that desires to do so. Truth be told, I'm kind of embarrassed to even share them with you all, but Jump in the deep end and you get used to the temp right away huh?
MIX 2 - tried to get the Loudness as per the LUFS requirements for the contest, and feel that I just muddied up my mix ( not sure what I did wrong) and made some mistakes at the last minute, probably from ear fatigue and thinking I could make it better.
Mix 1 is a mix I like better but I still had a problem with the toms and snare I think clipping a little during the loud part. But I TOTALLY like how I got the Snare playing that was played in between the beats. (paradiddles?)

Man I got A lot of questions! and a lot of Thank You's to everyone who submitted their mixes. I heard so many awesome ideas, I loved the panning and level choices and effects. It was interesting to see what everybody did similar, or, what was changed as a matter of each persons liking.

In all of my Feedback notes I noted my first thoughts as I was listening to each mix. I made brief notes. they may not be technical but I tried to be descriptive(?) enough to be understood. I'm actually nervous DARING to leave feedback at all because "I'm not worthy,I'm not worthy"! Feel free to school me.

I liked every single mix. It was a great opportunity for me to hear all these different versions and see what I may or may not have done that was similar to the others. It was Awesome! I can't wait to get to the next one.

ID1 - tight bottom nice little thump, nice overall ambience. panning of gtr and horns good voice sits well right in the middle. nice volume on the guitars during the lead section. no fade out?

ID2 good sound on bass, kick quiet or no power behind it. not bad though.. wished had more bottom LF.. Nice snare volume. nice guitar sounds. no fade out?

ID3 nice reverb right from the start. Soft sounding with nice bottom on bass and Kick. nice horn sound tight with a little reverb or delay? guitars nice and warm.

ID4 interesting bass gtr sound nice tone!, horns panned wide, nice drum sound overall. snare a little muted? IMHO Guitars have a distant quality - interesting...

ID5 Heavy reverb... bottom loud? snare quiet vs Bottom . kick is muted, lost in bass... Vox nice reverb/delay adds nice touch, too much at end of song

ID6 snare quiet, but nice rev, vox rev a little loud, good volume on vox, Overall nice mix. Everything sits well together. nice simple guitar and horns work well. too loud at end with noise and clapping,

ID7 SMooth all around, little less on the delay/verb during begining but good in last section, great guitar pan and volume, nice cymbal mix,tight bottom, drums sit well in the mix...

ID8 nice vocal reverb, nice & different bass tone, horns panned to outside different but works mid panned guitars.

ID9 nice and smooth horns and guitar all balanced nicely, voice mixed just right volume, Bass and kick mix well, Nice revb tail before solo section, would be a great live mix to see/hear in a small club. reverb tails could fade in just a little smoother?

ID10 Great bottom good snare. nice reverb on horns - smooths them out. vocals sound nice and up front, even not harsh. good levels on solo guitar parts. great tone on the snare.

ID11 sub harmonics on bottom good idea, but little high on the levels. Bass guitar gets a little burried here and there, distortion not right match for song? might be great in another genre. does give me great ideas to tear this song up in a crazy techno mix. makes me want to give it the NIN treatment

ID12 Big reverb sounds live, maybe down just a bit. Vox are really nice in the mix. guitars have nice balance sometimes vox got just a bit harsh - high freq with cymbals a little distored when horns hit at same time. . like the kicks and bass drums

ID13 smooth mix, good bottom on bass horns panned nicely. like the snare sound. toms well balanced. nice control of levels during loud section, like the guitar tones and little tail of delay at end of guitar solo
vox stay right up front the whole time nice and even.

ID14 bass gtr nice string sound, like the kick, HOrns sound nice and full. nice little bit of ambiance on the Vocal, nice bounce on the whole bottom end nice snare sound. really like the rhythm gtr sound/eq(?)
nice mix begining to end.

Last edited by Not_Here; 03-01-2018 at 10:23 PM.
Not_Here is offline   Reply With Quote