View Single Post
Old 08-05-2018, 10:37 AM   #78
brainwreck
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
Upon investigating this wiring diagram feature (which I think is brilliant BTW), I had a few suggestions to make but I see others are on the same page as me and have already made those suggestions.

The first thing that jumped out at me is the right to left flow rather than the much more logical left to right flow. Almost everything I have ever worked on in electronics has a top to bottom and left to right workflow (schematic diagrams particularly). The same is true for hardware audio engineering. Inputs on left, outputs on right. It's pretty much an expected industry standard.

Almost every mixing console in existence has top to bottom and left to right workflow. Most channel strips start with gain first, then EQ and sends, then assignments, pan, mute, solo and fade.
Input channels are left to right, then subgroups and then masters. Even in large format consoles where the master section is in the middle, the subgroups are on the left of the masters.

Slightly off topic, but if REAPER had folders arranged so child tracks were on top (in TCP) and on the left (in MCP) of the parent, I'd probably use them much more often.
Forgetting for the sake of a standard just because, what are the functional benefits of right-to-left flow? As is, just like in the mixer, the master is displayed by default because it is on the left. If it were the other way around, the master would be offscreen for any routing that is more complicated than a handful of tracks, or the screen would need to be scrolled far right by default.