View Single Post
Old 10-20-2017, 03:04 AM   #53
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas_LCS View Post
can you use it to say, create a sidebar if the FX button is active?
You can't do anything to make a sidebar; MCP panels have a width that is defined at the layout level and is then fixed. This is a limitation within Reaper itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrengmusic View Post
I don’t know if there is any syntax in WALTER to have track selection as variable.
You don't know correctly It can't be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Ladder View Post
Usually in audio contexts red is right, and white/black/blue is left. Like in standard RCA leads. Or any color coded L/R channel thingy.
This is a topic we have discussed at length; I wish there was one convention I could blindly follow, but there are two conflicting approaches and it would be naive to suggest an obvious 'right' answer. Audio does indeed have a cabling convention, but I know of few examples where it has been carried onto hardware human interface, where they are usually both labelled the same colour and solely the text/location used to facilitate at-a-glance recognition. Software UI, on the other hand, does have a convention, and it is to follow the naval/aerospace convention of left-red, green-right.

So; whether you use no colour (hardware), red-black (cables) or green-red (software) comes down to whether you expect REAPER to behave as a piece of software or as a representation of a piece of hardware.

On to this I layer my own user testing which (anecdotally) suggests that people broadly find a colour difference useful, and red-green most visible and expected. And in such a no-right-answer situation, that makes it the least objectionable compromise. I would welcome further discussion on this, though ideally not as a derail of this theme thread