View Single Post
Old 04-16-2018, 02:47 AM   #45
RCJacH
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfi View Post
Really? Would you mind sharing how you are using it?

I've always found that ElectroHat was the craziest plug-in he's come up with and hence the useless.

Not to talk bad things about Chris, he is a GENIUS and his plug-ins rock but as a GENIUS he also puts out stuff that's crazy and not very handy in the studio. I've always felt that Desk, PowerSag, GuitarConditioner as well as ElectroHat are kinda doing nothing worthy at all or doing nothing any other plug-in can achieve.
For ElectroHat, it's basically a plugin that adds sizzles, much like any dynamic noise generator, like the one I made here: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=186812

The difference between ElectroHat and white/pink/brown noise is that ElectroHat has a very distinctive noise profile, edgier than common white noise, and I find it somewhat similar to the noise type of physical impact on some sort of membrane (in recorded samples). Thus I think this plugin is not as fitting for generating a HH sound, but maybe more for adding the impact component to an existing sound.

With this mindset, I use ElectroHat to layer with existing sample(s) as a specific type of distortion. Currently I only use Electro Mode, and haven't figured out applications for other modes. From my understanding of the source code it seems that 606/808/909 Mode has fixed trim, and that's the only difference. I would adjust **Bright** first, so the generated sound would first match the application. For example, if I want to distort a snare, I would pull **Bright** to 0, in comparison of around 0.8 or something for HH and Crash. Then adjust **Trim** very carefully as it is an unpredictable parameter, but it may land on a very nice tone when you get to a specific value, and losing it by just changing 0.001 or something. Then use **Dry/Wet** to blend, normally around 0.4 or less, and use **Output** to fine tune the volume.

One thing to keep in mind is that not all sound sources may have the fitting length or dynamic for triggering noise - the Roland 808 snare is a short gliding sine with a longer noise oscillator - thus we may need to alter the input signal before it triggers ElectroHat. We can use gate/compressor to reduce length and dynamic, but if we want to increase the triggering length, we need something else. The RCNoiseBuzz JSFX that I linked above is one method to increase triggering length, basically using ElectroHat to color noise so it doesn't...sound like normal noise...The other method to lengthen a sample is to use reverb, and I find the new NonLinearSpace very fitting for the job since the artifact from it is replaced by ElectroHat. The settings for NonLinearSpace in the context usually involves setting **Liveness** to 0, reducing **Bass** and **Dry/Wet** to near 0, then adjust **Treble** to taste.

The **Desk** series, which I rarely use, apparently does its job only when signal surpasses 0dBFS, and since I use Console system, this series only works with bitshiftgain applied before and after desk...such a hazzle that I rarely bother with.
**PowerSag** may work well for designing amp systems, but...most studio rarely have such need. May work well with software synths to add a taste of analog circuit.
**GuitarConditioner** I use it after gate for each track of non-ultra-clean Electric Guitar that I have to record.
RCJacH is offline   Reply With Quote