View Single Post
Old 01-21-2022, 08:20 AM   #2
inoto
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by inoto View Post
And I guess the most consistent/simple thing would be to treat the inputs the same way, and resample them on the fly.
Just to add: the recordings should be still recorded and stored on the drive at the audio device sample rate, but converted to the project SR on the fly for playback/processing -- like it happens now when an item's SR doesn't match the device SR. At least, I think this would probably be a sane default (but converting permanently is an option too).

And I wanted to ask: what's the advantage of the current behavior, which ignores the "Project sample rate" setting for real time playback/processing?
I'm not that familiar with Reaper yet, so maybe I missed something obvious.

With my proposal, you'd also be able to use a very high SR in a project, regardless of what your device supports. For instance, if you have an old plugin that aliases badly and you want to run it at 192kHz, you could do that, even if your audio device can only run at 44.1kHz. Currently, you can't -- well, you can only render at that SR, but not hear its effects in real-time.

And to inform the user when Reaper's output is being resampled to match the device SR, there could be a small indication in the top right corner, just like for the items on a track. Something like:
Attached Images
File Type: png reaper1a.png (5.8 KB, 97 views)

Last edited by inoto; 01-21-2022 at 09:08 AM.
inoto is offline   Reply With Quote