View Single Post
Old 09-08-2017, 03:40 AM   #235
Mr. PC
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Hi Mr. PC, they are totally to different versions with completely different samples. I don't really have a lot of info about the mega kit, that is Suleiman's department, and I think he's either on vacation or tied up, I haven't seen or heard from him for a while.

The SMD kit I put together doesn't have the 127 layers but there are quite a few layers, enough to be able to get pretty good dynamics out of it.

If I'm not mistaken, I think you have Kontakt don't you? If so, that kit has different mic positions and you have a lot more control.

Regarding the "choke", Reaper's RS5K doesn't have one, but there are some JS FX that might work. I've personally never gotten the JS plugin to work very well, so I just cut the note off where I want it to choke. That actually works pretty well, because you can set up the amount of Release for the choke.

Kontakt of course has a good choke, so no problem there.

I think the Embertone Jazz Kit come in Kontakt doesn't it?
Yes, I use Kontakt, and am loving the Orange Tree Jazz Kit (seems the free kits are better than the paid).

I thought the Reaper version had more layers than the Kontakt. In the OP it says there are 127 kit, snare, and closed-hat layers; is that correct?

www.smmdrums.wordpress.com has links to the Reaper version as well, but if Kontakt is more detailed, I'll take that. IMO velocity layers are are better than round robins or mic positions; I can use the layers like round robins by tweaking velocity.

It looks like the Kontakt version has a stereo pair for all drums, plus close mic on kick, and a top/bottom snare, so what mic positions is the Reaper version missing?

Last edited by Mr. PC; 09-08-2017 at 04:14 AM.
Mr. PC is offline   Reply With Quote