View Single Post
Old 12-08-2019, 07:05 AM   #16
GreasyBumpkin
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumphil View Post
File menu --> Project Settings --> Project Sample Rate under the Project Settings tab. Should be at the top left. The first thing you should see when you've clicked File menu --> Project Settings.

Using a larger buffer size may reduce the glitches, but ultimately the devices will eventually drift far enough out of sync. It may still work well enough to get a usable recording, but who knows.

Also, why is the added complexity of Voicemeeter needed in this situation?

Actually, thinking about voicemeeter, doesn't voicemeeter banana allow you to aggregate audio devices? Might be worth trying that rather than using ASIO4ALL to aggregate the devices. Perhaps it handles devices devices with no word clock link more gracefully than ASIO4ALL does.

I'd suggest one or the other, but not both at the same time. It's hard enough to get two devices working together without problems, let alone three or four, with a virtual audio cable thrown in for good measure.

EDIT: Had a look at the voicemeeter potato documentation, and I don't think it allows for a enough channels per audio device to do what you want.

Ultimately, the proper answer is to get one audio interface with enough inputs to connect everything.

But I suppose it's worth a try. You may get usable results.

There will be some extra cpu overhead from aggregating the devices, running all their drivers and hardware at the same time. Also, if you're using an existing project that already has 44.1K files in it, reaper will resample them on the fly to the new sample rate of 48K, and this will use extra CPU power.

EDIT: Further thoughts:

Are you using all the channels on your soundcraft mixer? If not, you could use a splitter cable and connect the second output from each device to a spare channel on your mixer, and not put any effects on those channels (or set the recording point to before the effects depending on how the device works).

Exactly what soundcraft mixer do you have?

On Voicemeeter: this was just an app I picked up so I could monitor soft synths without latency while recording (I used to run them on Rearoute, but then noticed an audible delay whenever I recorded and this made it difficult playing alongside live instruments).

I'll head over to the VM forums to see if anyone else has a better idea like you suggested.

It's a Soundcraft Signature MTK12. 3 channels for guitars, 3 channels for vocals, 2 for VST monitoring (VM), 2 for clicks/team chat (things not going to FOH) and finally 2 for the e-drums.

There currently isn't any room for any more inputs but I agree that getting a wet/dry split on the analog mixer would make life simpler. I should take the dimensions of the MTK22 and see if I have the physical space for that on my rig.

There's also ASIO Link Pro which I have yet to try out.
GreasyBumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote