View Single Post
Old 04-03-2011, 09:32 AM   #3
chriscomfort
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWathan View Post
Would you guys find it useful to be able to select a group of CC events and have a mouse modifier for spreading them further apart or cramming them closer together?

Basically, you could select a bunch of velocity CCs, click and drag UP and they would spread apart from each other, increasing the dynamics. If you click and drag DOWN, the gap between their values would shrink and they would be compressed towards one value, effectively eliminating the dynamics.

This would be EXTREMELY useful for drum related stuff with MIDI, especially when using Reaper's fantastic "create chromatic midi from selected items" to convert drum tracks to MIDI. I find a lot of the time the velocity curve I end up with isn't dynamic enough when using that function because there is so much headroom in my original tracks. This CC "compress" modifier would allow me to literally drag life into my drum tracks and would be a wicked addition to Reaper!
This sounds great. How would the threshold be determined? In Cubase's ME,the velocity function has Add/Subtract, Compress/Expand and Limit. Mind you, this is a dialog box similar to Reaper's Transpose or Quantize. Anyway, it seems that Cubase assumes the threshold to be a midpoint between the highest and lowest value of the notes selected. Whereas when the MIDI Compression plug-in is used as a channel insert effect, threshold is a separate value that is chosen. I could also see the threshold being determined by where you initially click after you've depressed the modifier keys. Hmmmm.

And then of course ratio is simply a function of how high or low you drag.