View Single Post
Old 12-31-2019, 04:36 AM   #2
FixItInPost
Human being with feelings

Hi Drew,

The Video Codec % value is for fixed quality scale (VBR- Variable Bit Rate) video encoding where the encoder tries to maintain the quality of the video by adjusting the bit rate based on the complexity of the video it’s analysing. In x264 terms this would be setting the -crf (Constant Ratefactor) value where lower values (less than the default 23) produce better quality, larger file size videos. I am not sure how the REAPER percentage correlates with the CRF value.

VLC Player’s Statistics page’s "Content Bitrate" shows the current combined (video + audio) bit rate. I’m guessing that, because REAPER uses a variable bit rate based on video image complexity, when you took the screen shot of the VLC stats page the video wasn’t very complex – hence the low bit rate.

I am not too sure what coding constraints Vimeo uses to transcode submitted videos. They could be CBR - Constant Bit Rate, or constrained variable bit rate. I’ll have to download and analyse a Vimeo video. See Vimeo’s Compression Guidelines on Vimeo for a bit more insight.

I recommend using MediaInfo to analyse both the file you submitted to Vimeo and the downloaded Vimeo file. It will give you an idea as to what the coding constraints might have been.

Is there any particular reason why you’re wanting to match the Vimeo encoding? If you’re using Vimeo as a method to get your videos transcoded, I would suggest you look at HandBrake – it’s free, easy to use and uses the award winning x264 encoder to encode H.264 video streams.

Since REAPER 5.985 you’ve been able to save H.264 videos as .MP4 – check out this REAPER Blog video.

All the best,

Andrew
FixItInPost is offline   Reply With Quote