View Single Post
Old 08-14-2009, 05:55 AM   #63
airon
Human being with feelings

Hello. I'm an editor/re-recording mixer and long-time Reaper user(as well as PT for most of my work).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dterry View Post
I'll echo some comments here with my wishlist for post (and scoring):

1 - True video track with thumbnails - too confusing managing video from an audio track.
This is a question of item overviews. The waveform overview uses up to four mip-maps and images can already be told to function as backgrounds to items, so some form of image reproduction from a scan of the video should not be a huge problem, once they get the video playback functioning well.

Quote:
2 - Decklink video output support
Please add a link or two for this to the card manufacturers and explain why dedicated video card with SDI/RGB is important to you.

Quote:
3 - Remote video slave support
If you mean sending out sync to other players, that's already possible. See the stuff about MTC and LTC in the manual. Reaper needs to play back video properly before we can have it functioning as a video slave though. Reaper can already network instances of itself on a local network, much like Logic does with its nodes.

Quote:
4 - ADR style video overlays for punches, streamers, etc - sent to external video playback, or slave video system to second/external monitor.
Video processing. That's asking a lot. Why don't you include a link list of the best streamer applications for reference. I hardly ever use them, so my preference wouldn't be useful.

Quote:
5 - Folders to completely hide contained tracks (a la Nuendo) - no lines or minimum height tracks - just takes up space in large track-count projects. I use folders to compact high track count projects in sections - all I need is the folder and a composite track overview for that folder (e.g. give folders a "folder only" option for ease of management).
Definitely grab the SWS extension at http://www.standingwaterstudios.com/ . It'll give you effective means of dealing with track visibility and show/hide snapshots. Until Reaper itself gets this kind of thing, this extension is your most useful option for managing a lot of tracks.

Quote:
6 - Eucon Pro support
They had contacted Euphonix about this, but haven't said how far they'd gotten with it yet. Euphonix is a little funky with its Mac-Only policy on the artist series, which may be a reason that Reaper hasn't been more supportive of this highly useful protocol.

Quote:
7 - VST instrument rack for quicker access (and easier management of multiple outputs?)
A rack of this sort might not happen, but you never know in what way the developers surprise us with something clever.

Meanwhile, the Screensets view might come in handy. Experiment with those, since they can open up plugin windows as well. Be sure to tell of their shortcomings or pop questions. There are plenty of former Cubase users here as well to assist you. The General forum and the Tips&Tricks forum are good places to post those questions.

Quote:
8 - Ability to scrub objects to video via head, tail and sync point (Soundtrack Pro actually has the coolest implementation of this with a 3 window video scrub preview).
This is covered in this feature request in the Issue Tracker, which is where discussed and matured feature requests are posted to be voted on. You'll find the video request here: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=604

Quote:
Obviously not a simple request list, but there it is.

I use Nuendo currently, which is a great app of course, but there is a lot I like about Reaper that sets it apart (launching in 3 seconds and working perfectly with plugins and VSTis that seem to bomb Nuendo are only part of that).

Very impressive app and development progress!
Welcome the to fun and be sure to vote on other requests useful to post production such as Area Selection and Bins.

Last edited by airon; 08-14-2009 at 06:01 AM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote