View Single Post
Old 09-11-2019, 12:29 PM   #32
PhelixK
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Yea. Good UI design is a bit undervalued these days, just like most other kinds of art. Definitely takes a skilled hand.

I would go even further and make each section a collapsible panel for a less overwhelming experience. E.g. in the item properties window, 99/100 times I only want to see take properties, but still end up reading half that text every time I open the dialog.

Preferences sections actually are collapsible, but unfortunately they don't stay collapsed after closing the window...

Not a mockup:

I think noobs would do a lot less complaining about the interface if all the really powerful tools were under the hood.
Not a mockup -sorry, where is this picture taken from?
Anyways, you’re right, and I never thought of that as a bug, but I do now:-) Of cause it should stay collapsed or in same state, at least within same session. Media explorer do keep and recall last view.

I agree, having collapsible sections within windows could bring the entire UI a huge step further towards a more gentle experience for newcomers. But it has to be done in a smart, discrete way, not becoming a burden for elite users. Features like dynamic windows comes into mind.

Also to begin with, the top main menu can be quite overwhelming, I mean, ask someone relatively new to Reaper to find sub menu for Items Ruler..

On the other hand, the more complex, the greater chance for everyone, skilled or not, to learn something new each time we open up Reaper ツ
PhelixK is offline   Reply With Quote