View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #33
Jeffos
Mortal

I have not yet found the time to update the Live Configs user guide :/
I'll (try to) update it before 2024, I promise

Also, sorry for the late and "bundled" replies below, I'll try to follow things more closely...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton9 View Post
Just thought of a couple of actions that Live Configs could really use.
1) An action for the context menu that comes up when right clicking in a row of the "CC value" column that would clear the the entire row of any settings.
2) A master clear action that would clear everything in the currently selected config set and maybe even an action that would clear all configs in all config sets. These actions could be located in the dialog's right click context menu.
I'd say:
1) Select the row you want to clear, press the DEL key
2) Ctrl-A (select all), then DEL

If you really need to do this via actions too, could you please explain me why? (briefly)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xane002 View Post
Is there a way to send the control from a midi track?
As Breeder said (and as you figured it out in the meantime, it seems) you can do this thanks to MIDItoReaControlPath: see my detailed answer to cjaxis below!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeder View Post
When "Send all notes off when switching configs" is turned on, there is a really big and noticeable delay when switching configs. Thank god I don't need that option.

Can anybody else reproduce it?
Hey Breeder! Assuming you are talking of a reasonable delay (and not minutes/hours ) well this might be "normal": it depends on your options, well on your combinations of options.
=> just to make sure, please can you e-mail me that live config (just the RPP file) ? TIA!

One combination of options example that can explain this: when you are using an input track (option1), and a tiny fade > 0 ms (option2), and "Send all notes off when switching configs" (option3), to make sure there won't be any stuck notes, the extension will have first have to wait for the tiny fade to be done (option2), mute sends from the input track (option1), and then send "all notes off" (option3).

Bottom line: you have to find a compromise between safe instruments/effects switches AND acceptable delay between those switches.
- For MIDI users: activating the "all notes off" option will avoid stuck notes but it introduces a slight delay (which is itself tied to the tiny fade option, as explained above)
- For audio users (Guitar, vocals, etc..): they do not need the "all notes off" option, but it is highly recommended to set a "tiny fade" that will prevent audio glitches when switching configs. The longer "tiny fade" the longer switch between configs, of course.
- Immediate switches: it is possible to switch immediately between configs (i.e. all options disabled), but in this case you will most probably hear glitchy switches and/or stuck MIDI notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweed View Post
asking if someone could confirm that I've not missed something.

--- the 'preload' function is mostly? a visual helper and doesn't
load the patches into memory and therefore doesn't make switching faster in a big way.

i love being totally inaccurate sometimes!
how are you using preload:-) ???
thanks!
Preload works as expected here..

Just in case...
To make sense, the Preload feature must be either used with the option "Offline all but active/preloaded tracks (RAM savings)", or when you put individual FX online/offline (thanks to the Live Configs' activate/deactivate actions for ex.)
For live use (I mean, on stage, in real life) I do not recommend that option ^^ unless you rely on a SSD and totally trust the stability of your plugins.

Hope this helps (?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjaxis View Post
is this possible to switch configs from MIDI Item on input track with pre-written CC? Now it's switching only from my MIDI controller.
I want to play guitar along witn playback track and fully automated FX switching without touching any controllers during playing.
Yes, you can do this thanks to MIDItoReaControlPath.
This have been said earlier in the thread but not really detailed...
I have attached a little project here which demonstrate how to do that (instead of a long technical description (in funky English ))
=> The RPP contains an ultra simple live config that just mute/unmute tracks (but it would work the same with FX preset/FX chains/Track template/... switches).
=> The idea of this RPP is to trigger those configs with the MIDI events of the last track

1) Download & install MIDItoReaControlPath in your normal VST folder
2) Load the attached RPP (make sure MIDItoReaControlPath is ok/loaded on the on the last track)
3) Now we are going to "learn":
3a) When you open the RPP, just press play (as you can see, the project is ready for looping)
3b) *While playing/looping*, in the "Live Configs" window click the button Learn / "Learn Apply Live Config 1 action"
3c) Wait for a CC (this where MIDItoReaControlPath is needed: it forwards CCs of the MIDI item to the learn system), click OK.

=> Then the fest starts immediately!
=> Each CC of the MIDI item is activating a track and muting all other tracks (I mean, all other tracks of the config. The track with MIDItoReaControlPath is not part of the Live Configs and thus never muted, of course!)
=> An anim of what you should see:

^^ REAPER rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Sorry for a stupid question in a hurry (didn't have much time to check all the functionality) - but is there a way to make Live Configs switch between slots via bank select/program changes (this is the most natural way of doing it for me, as a keyboard player)? If not, it would be my suggestion to implement this at certain point. Bank Select could switch between different Live Config sets, and Program Changes could switch between slots.
It's possible.
In the same spirit than the above reply I'd do this: instead of declaring my controller in the MIDI prefs, I would disable it there and arm a track with that controller as MIDI input instead.
Then, on that track I "just" need a little JS + MIDItoReaControlPath. The JS changes the CC number according to the bank messages it receives, done.
If you *really* need that but have no idea how to code such a JS, let me know I'll post one.

Also, for the record, the idea behind different Live Configs numbers (1,2,3 & 4) was more likely to let several musicians switch their own instruments/effects at the same time (each musician having its own controller and a dedicated Live Config number). But yes, nothing prevents a single musician to use several controllers/configs -OR- a single controller that triggers different Live Config numbers (thanks to a trick like the JS+MIDItoReaControlPath one I described just above) -OR- ...
Attached Files
File Type: zip LiveConfigs_and_MIDItoReaControlPath.zip (2.0 KB, 549 views)
Jeffos is offline   Reply With Quote