View Single Post
Old 10-09-2017, 12:23 PM   #32
ashcat_lt
Human being with feelings

The big thing about most piezo acloustics is the fact that the pickup is in the bridge saddle. At that point on the string, every harmonic that the string produces moves just about the same distance. When you move farther along the string, the it can actually swing further overall, and you see the lower harmonics swinging a lot further with the higher harmonics "riding on top" of that motion. What we are used to hearing from an acoustic guitar is more like what's happening around the middle of the string motion - it's weighted much more toward the lower end of things. It's very much the same as the difference between a neck and bridge pickup on a guitar, except even more extreme, and a typical magnetic pickup can't possibly pass anything above maybe 8K whereas the piezo itself will gladly vibrate transduce radio frequencies.

It's a very complex system of course (I've described part of the issue) so it's impossible to actually take the piezo output and make it sound exactly like it would in a room or to a mic, but you can get quite a ways by just keeping this in mind. Use ReaEQ for a lowpass, start with a really wide bandwidth and don't be afraid to dig way down even almost to the fundamentals. Use makeup gain to keep things fair and maybe highpass to take out any boominess that starts to take over.

I think it's important to think here more about broad ranges. The problem is definitely not just a couple narrow bands in the 2-3K range.

You asked for like ReaEQ settings and such. I would find it much easier to do that in context. If you were to post a brief project - just a verse or something - with all of these elements aligned and ready to mix, I might poke around at it.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote