View Single Post
Old 10-09-2017, 08:49 PM   #33
RDBOIS
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
The big thing about most piezo acloustics is the fact that the pickup is in the bridge saddle. At that point on the string, every harmonic that the string produces moves just about the same distance. When you move farther along the string, the it can actually swing further overall, and you see the lower harmonics swinging a lot further with the higher harmonics "riding on top" of that motion. What we are used to hearing from an acoustic guitar is more like what's happening around the middle of the string motion - it's weighted much more toward the lower end of things. It's very much the same as the difference between a neck and bridge pickup on a guitar, except even more extreme, and a typical magnetic pickup can't possibly pass anything above maybe 8K whereas the piezo itself will gladly vibrate transduce radio frequencies.

It's a very complex system of course (I've described part of the issue) so it's impossible to actually take the piezo output and make it sound exactly like it would in a room or to a mic, but you can get quite a ways by just keeping this in mind. Use ReaEQ for a lowpass, start with a really wide bandwidth and don't be afraid to dig way down even almost to the fundamentals. Use makeup gain to keep things fair and maybe highpass to take out any boominess that starts to take over.

I think it's important to think here more about broad ranges. The problem is definitely not just a couple narrow bands in the 2-3K range.

You asked for like ReaEQ settings and such. I would find it much easier to do that in context. If you were to post a brief project - just a verse or something - with all of these elements aligned and ready to mix, I might poke around at it.

Great info and tech.

Perhaps i'll mic the acoustic before i try anything with eq. i guess i was thinking that i could get a better sound plugged in seeing that i don't have a studio (i.e. good room) and a have a cheap mic. The mic is a Heil pr22. Perhaps i can even try combining the low freqs of the DI track with the rest coming from the mic?

Once i my project is a bit more advanced i'll post a sound clip, so you can hear the context.

BTW, this is the kind of sound i'm looking for, for the acoustic guitar; see video below

If you crank the volume up you may notice that the guitar sound is a composite; several guitars playing (i wonder if it is not 1 acoustic for the highs + 1 classical guit for the lows), but sounds more like only one... There is sweetness even loud, never too harsh.

How do you recon they created this sound?

Last edited by RDBOIS; 10-09-2017 at 08:56 PM.
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote