View Single Post
Old 09-28-2021, 08:16 AM   #15
Jennifer
Human being with feelings

Progress!

It turned out the two things I needed to do were:

a) rename all the audio files to have .sd2 suffixes (thanks citizenkeith for verifying that)

b) rename the session file to .pts. Yes, the guess of .pt5 was wrong after all! even though AAT had managed to do something on that basis!

In the output, all the audio is alongside the session file, so AAT hadn't kept the directory structure - but it didn't mind it. And it didn't seem to mind me not renaming the Resource Fork.

Now I have the whole thing running in Reaper, which is extremely pleasing :-)

=

Next puzzle is, the playback isn't quite right yet.

In a way, it kind of doesn't really matter on this one, because it wasn't a finished project and I was going to do some more editing anyway, so having all the original audio available in Reaper is the main thing. AAT would still be worth the money even if some details don't transfer perfectly (as I have a ton of old projects to bring over, and even this much automation will save me a lot of time). And I know there are limits to AAT which might not be solvable, due to incompatibility between all the different standards it has to deal with. But I do plan to puzzle over it some more and see if I can figure out a way to have more of the details come over the same.

What I've noticed so far:

- The takes which run straight through in one go seem fine.

- Where I had used pieces of various different takes to put together a composite vocal, some of those snippets are coming out correctly, and some not.

Initial theory, I think what might be happening is something along the lines of: Reaper is calling the correct audio file, but Pro Tools also knew which bit of that file was meant to be appearing in that item. Like, Pro Tools knew an amount of time to offset from the start of the audio file, and Reaper doesn't know that so it's just playing the snippet from the top of the raw audio. (Though that wouldn't explain why some of them are OK!)

I'll have to do a more careful A/B comparison between the Reaper version and the ProTools one before I can formulate a better theory on what exactly the discrepancy is.

If that sort of thing rings any bells with anyone, I'm interested :-)
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote