View Single Post
Old 05-10-2019, 03:40 PM   #73
nitsuj
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai'ke View Post
Good question. All I tested was tight vs tight (with and without oversampling). But I only looked up to a floor of -96.
That's cool. The test I did was against a signal without the compressor present and a signal processed by the compressor but with 0dB threshold. That should test only the oversampling.

Quote:
The way I understand it, it could just be some remnants of the copies that arise after oversampling? I mean, the brick wall gives me -96 dB in the stopband, but it's no ideal brick wall filter. I'm actually not sure if perfect reconstruction is an attainable goal?
I know it's a little different but ReEQ's oversampling nulls out in this regard. But I'm decimating. That's what I aimed for because Ableton's EQ8 nulls too and that was the benchmark.

Quote:
Wait, I don't understand exactly what you did here. Pro-C2 vs Pro-C2?
Pro-C2 didn't null because it didn't pdc compensate? Or it compensated despite no processing happening?
Pro-C2 against a track without it on. Not sure what the reason for the result was, could well be a change in amplitude...who knows.

Quote:
Reacomp with oversampling? Is the oversampling working now? I remember seeing a video from Dan Worrall where the AA was doing some weird stuff. I guess it's fixed now?
No, AA in Reacomp was badly broken so they just removed it. I was referring to the behaviour with 0dB threshold or 1:1 ratio.

Quote:
I guess I could make a check for that, but it makes not so much sense to even have a compressor on the signal chain if it's at 0 dB or 1:1. I'd rather avoid a condition for this, since it makes testing the plugin less transparent. Or maybe I'm misinterpreting the suggestion
I totally agree. If you had done this I'd have found myself looking through the code to disable it so I could do the tests.

Quote:
Edit: P.S. I just wanted to say I really appreciate you taking the time to take it through its paces. I think more eyes on this thing is really beneficial for the quality of the final result
You're welcome. It would be good to get a real compressor aficionado giving an opinion. I think it's a great compressor. A real candidate for go-to. What else does it need? Maybe a filtered side chain? Lookahead? But really, you've done the hard work.

What further plans do you have for it or are you just using it as a testing ground for Squashman?
nitsuj is offline   Reply With Quote