View Single Post
Old 12-07-2007, 09:15 PM   #29
bokey
Human being with feelings

Default Vocalist/lyricist wants to experiment

I've always had a hard time learning recording techniques because I tend to get distracted by singing or playing the guitar.By the time I get done setting things up the machines/software for recording I've lost my creative edge or whatever it's called.Killer instinct.My mojo.That thing.
After my initial efforts using Reaper v1.88 ( 2 songs total) I kind of fizzled out because, like I said, I just wanna play and all that other stuff slows me down.
But hey, I need to accept that I have to put the effort in to learn some stuff and then the setup will be easy and non distracting, maybe even part of the creative process.
My biggest problem is motivation.If someone has some songs they want vocals done for it would help me by dragging me kicking and screaming into the actual recording part of music.
Also I can write lyrics about anything.
This song is just a crappy cover medley of the songs "Love Hurts",
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Hurts

written by the great Boudleaux Bryant and the Trent Reznor song "Hurt" that was covered so hauntingly by Johnny Cash.
I was playing "Hurt" one day on my acoustic and thought " hey that would go good with Love Hurts". So I got all excited and set everything up real quick and started playing unrehearsed.This is like the 3 or 4th take, it took me a few to get the transition right.I have no idea what I did on the mix but be assured it wasn't much.
Anyway I'm more than aware of the poor quality of the recording and mix.I just kind of slammed it out since I know so little(except how to sing,that's the easy part).It's just recorded straight into a Behringer 802 mixer.probably all flat EQ'ed.I have a Behringer B-2 condensor mic.I've also got a Line6 PodXT that has a bunch of effects I've never tried.
Also at the very end I got a little vocally ,umm, overwhelming?LOL(You'll see/hear what I mean)I've got an insanely powerful voice and I hadn't figured out how to finish the song and it was like trying to stop a trainful of coal heading down a mountainside.LOL. I was just getting warmed up and not sucking to bad and it was time to stop.Another thing that I have trouble with.Sometimes I don't wanna stop playing or singing.
Oh well. I'll shut up now and check back for virtual rotten eggs and tomatoes tomorrow or so.

http://www.stashbox.org/58247/higherratehurt3.mp3

Oh yeah- I know the guitar playing kinda sucks too.I kind of had a run in with a piece of machinery years ago and had to have the first knuckle of my left ring finger amputated, so cut me some slack on the guitar.The vocals just kind of suck because I'm just starting to play and sing again.To be honest, for awhile it hurt a lot and I wasn't into it.
But I guess you can't change what you are and apparantly I'm a channeling device for music from somewhere else, cause it just kinda happens whether I want it to or not.Sometimes it claws at the inside of me trying to get out.Can't stop it so I might as work with it.
I really thought I could just give it up.

Last edited by bokey; 12-07-2007 at 09:27 PM.
bokey is offline   Reply With Quote