View Single Post
Old 03-01-2017, 05:21 AM   #42
Xenakios
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyran View Post
Thanks for this. Anything specific you had to do to get it to work as a Reaper plugin? Could I just add the two Reaper headers via the Projucer and put the usual Reaper DLL Export function into my main cpp file?

I think I'm already using an old template project of yours, so I don't actually know what goes into building an extension plugin from scratch.

It's kind of a pain to have to add files to the solution via the Projucer, but I guess it's manageable. I assume the jucer file saves the project config and can be archived with Git or whatever. I'd like to make an up-to-date solution template (maybe with unit tests too) that I can clone to start a new plugin.
Pretty much the only tricky stuff with this is how to get the JUCE GUI windows to have the Reaper main window as their parent window. Otherwise everything works pretty much the same with regards to both JUCE and Reaper extensions. So if you want to start this from scratch with Projucer, just create a Dynamic Library project and add a .cpp file into your project (either in Projucer or your actual IDE) that defines and exports the Reaper plugin entry point function.

You don't even need to add the Reaper headers into Projucer. The compiler will be able to find them if you just place those headers in some suitable location, like next to your main .cpp files.

It's possible to work so that the Projucer is used only to start the project. Files can later be added and build settings can be changed in the real IDE (Visual Studio or XCode) too. But of course if the Projucer settings need to be changed later and the project files are resaved, the manually done changes in the IDE project files will be lost.

Last edited by Xenakios; 03-01-2017 at 05:27 AM.
Xenakios is offline   Reply With Quote