View Single Post
Old 11-15-2017, 05:50 PM   #1
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

Default Freeze/Render etc. vs Project Length

I tend to have tracks where I use two mics source such as two mics on an amp just as a single example. They go in a folder for summing and once they are balanced as I want, I want to then bounce down or render/freeze these and place the resulting render on the folder track and I can then delete the two original tracks.

When rendering/freezing etc. Reaper sort of blindly renders from the very start of the timeline to the very end of the project. This also appears to ignore the project playback length setting in project settings because all that affects is playback/recording. So in this example, Reaper thinks the project length is 18 minutes but it's really about 6 minutes so here I sit with a rendered track that is 18 minutes long...

Ideally, what should occur is that it renders based on the total length of the items it is rendering (+tail). Otherwise it's eating up extra render time (took 3 minutes on a 4.5GHz box for a single track), creating larger files for no reason, and I have to now spend time trimming it up. Just imagine having to do that for 10-20 tracks per project for 12 projects.

What's the word on getting around this? I can't seem to find what param is the project length in the .RPP or I would have just grumbled a little and edited the RPP though I don't really want to have to hack the project file to fix this behavior.

Lastly, I thought Reaper might determine project length by end point of last item but I can't find an item beyond the end of the song but there was one there previously which is why reaper thinks the song is 18 minutes long but seems that should shrink when the item is deleted.