View Single Post
Old 07-19-2019, 04:41 PM   #51
superblonde.org
Human being with feelings

there is no need for a music service to share music. there USED to be a reason and it was this: because playing music was really technically difficult, it required flash plugin, or a lot of complex alternatives.

HTML5 rendered music service webs obsolete because HTML5 language includes by default, a way to play audio files in any browser without any complex coding. now including music files on a web page is as simple as including images (photos etc) on a web page.

this is a very important point so i will reiterate. the entire existence of myspace, bandmix, etc, was to facilitate playing music in a web browser. then the sharing aspect is the frosting on top. and it is no longer necessary, because HTML5 exists now.

all you need to make a band web site is one thing. ok 2 things.

1. reaper, to make audio files like mp3's
2. an editor which allows you to type HTML5 tags then upload the web file to your host site

that is all. you can go to my web site which is the same as my user name to see an example. its not fancy or anything. but the audio files are there and you can click to play them as desired. a few images are there. some youtube videos are included too. (better yet don't go to my site because my recordings and playing is horrible)

the code will look no more complex than something like this, where i replaced the brackets with different squiggles in order to post it:

{html} {body}
Hello! {p} Welcome to {b}The Rotten Crue{/b} fan club, we have a new album named {b}Truckers On Acid{/b} to be released in September! {p} Listen to our first track below! {p} {audio source="Truckers.And.Babes.On.Long.Hauls.mp3"}
{p}Support us by buying our new CD! {a href='link to paypal product'} Use Paypal {/a}
{p} This is the best way to support our music because we get the funds directly from our fans like you!
{/body}

there it is, literally it is that simple.

check out the following link to learn more about the AUDIO tag, which makes it all possible.

https://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_audio.asp

adding video on the page is just as simple, just simple cut & paste, not like it used to be many years ago where you needed to have a Ph. D in computers to add video to a page.

My reasons for posting this are simple. I dont like those band service sites. They are unfair, they rip off the artists, they charge too much, and sometimes they steal the intellectual property from the musicians. Dont use 'em. Do it yourself.

The only major drawback to not using one of those sites, is that a site you make won't have the "sharing" stuff. But because everyone uses other sites for that (which I wont name) or twitter etc to advertise themselves, there is also no need for a web-service to do it for you. after all who really finds a new band by browsing or searching around on bandmix or bandcamp directly, not many. everyone comes to a band through the other social sites, which means it can point to your own web site.

Last edited by superblonde.org; 07-19-2019 at 04:42 PM. Reason: meh
superblonde.org is offline   Reply With Quote