View Single Post
Old 01-17-2019, 02:10 AM   #1
Eliseat
Human being with feelings

Default My new VLC Auto split extension!

Hi,

finally I finished my very first programming experiment. And I'm pretty proud to present you Video split with mkvMerge, an VLC extension which allows you to easily split movies into clips with mkvToolnix. (Without re-encoding!)

This is also meant to be a good solution for video editing in Reaper as Reaper is actually not capable of splitting videos without re-encoding.

How does it work?

Firstly you need mkvToolnix. And of course VLC. The extension allows you to create timestamps on the fly while watching a movie or searching thru it. Its pretty straight forward. Your time ranges get copied into a list which will be sent formatted to mkvMerge for the splitting process.

Here it is in action:

First run routine demands the path to mkvMerge.exe which gets saved into mkvMergePath.txt next to the extension script.

Clicking the Create start/end point button adds new timestamps to the list. Those time ranges will be displayed as clips in the clip list.

Sending the timestamps to mkvMerge with one click. It saves all clips next to the source video.

I have no idea of how compatible this lua script is. I only tested it on win 7 64 bit and VLC v 3.04 which works flawlessly. But I'm pretty sure there are still many traps that I didn't think about. If someone wants to test it and runs into trouble I will try to fix that. Though I'm not experienced.

So please try it out. Put the lua file into the VLC directory/lua/extensions directory and start the extension in the menu -> view Split Video with mkvMerge

EDIT: New Version with clean button and better path handling.
Here is the file: Split_with_mkvMerge.lua

By the way. Theoretically this could be easily ported to apple and linux systems as only the paths and filenames should be renamed. Though I'm not sure but I think the system commands also needed to fit the system code. Would be cool if someone could port it to other systems or even optimizes the code a bit. (I know it looks silly at certain places. )

Last edited by Eliseat; 01-19-2019 at 03:10 AM.
Eliseat is offline   Reply With Quote