View Single Post
Old 03-25-2020, 06:15 PM   #4
phoo
Human being with feelings

-What application you're using to play those files "as 32-bit float" (VLC or other media player?)

-Did you record the files as 24-bit float in Reaper (is that even a possible driver setting in Reaper?),

-What audio hardware you have,

-What your driver settings are (in Reaper especially).

THANKS! Good points, all of them.

I misspoke about the format being float. It is 44.1khz, 24 Bit PCM. The default rendering format of Reaper, and the recording format.

I find the combinations of tracks by muting tracks one at a time until the problem goes away, then it's bring back tracks one at a time until it shows back up. It's not always the obvious combinations.

I have no idea is the plug-ins are non-linear. All are Reaper installed by default. ReaEQ mostly, to roll off the lows and highs to limit bandwidth. That said, the issue it there with no plug-ins in the path at all. Since this should rule out intermodulation, what's the remaining possibilities?

All individual tracks were recorded in Reaper. Audio interface is a ZOOM UAC-8 (USB3) via a main recording desktop, Windows 10 (sigh), and onboard audio in an HP Envy Laptop. The artifacts happen on both machines. Record on the desktop, then the majority of post recording work is done on the laptop. Everything is then passed back to the desktop for final "real" mixing through good speakers and final rendering. (I haven't noticed any differences between rendering on either machine if that matters - all that should stay in Reaper software)

Playback of the rendered files is in Reaper, VLC, Adobe Audition, and ultimately in Sony CD Architect, and in the car via blutooth directly from the Reaper on the laptop. (love mixing in the car - grin number one)

Track mixing in Reaper is 64 bit float.

The artifacts are audible during realtime playback in Reaper on both machines. What's being heard is what's rendered. This definitely makes it much easier to isolate. Because of this it seems like it would be irrelevant what the rendered format is, unless Reaper changes it's realtime playback amd mixing based on the rendering setting.

It also seems to not be computer or hardware specific since it happens on both the laptop (with really crappy audio) and the desktop (much better and drastically different hardware). Also, the fact that it's audible in every place I've tried to play these on may also help rule out it being something app specific. It's happing in Reaper, and it's not in any of the individual tracks.

Yes, I do understand how downsampling for playback could be relevant. Some apps, such as CD Architect has a dithering plug-in enabled by default, specifically for burning to 16 bit CD. That does make playback sound better, but it can't remove pops and clicks in the source (which is ultimately how this ends up sounding in the song unfortunately). At least there's no samplerate conversions going on.

These artifacts are subtle. My wife can't hear them at all. Unfortunately, I've "heard them" and now they are all I can hear. (grin two)

(I'll edit this response with the driver settings shortly. Not where the desktop is at the moment.)

Thanks for the responses!

http://www.phootoons.com
phoo is offline   Reply With Quote