View Single Post
Old 10-23-2019, 01:14 AM   #2
dazastah
Human being with feelings

what will the computer be doing exactly ? vst playing ?
multi backing tracks ? vst effect processing ?
all of the above?

For perspective I run a backing track system (at most 16 stems)on a atom z8350 cpu with 4gb ram. its a touch tv box type pc. all flash storage so it can handle massive vibration. reaper does quite well on such a mini system.
we are using either the soundcraft ui24r or behringer x32core with s16 box..
sending at most 8 backing tracks to foh or running the whole stage through these boxes for mixing.

IF i was going to use it for vst playing , id probably build a desktop system that doesnt use a laptop cpu, as they are managing power/electricity usage rather than just giving the most power per buck.
Laptops generally have quirky battery saving software specific to manufactures that mess with audio latency related tasks. I guess if your willing to spend a fortune on a top tier laptop you'll probably get away with what you want to do.

Not sure what presonus are like with driver efficiency but rme are really top notch in that regard. No soundcard i've used has the best response and stability that rme has when it comes to live vst instruments buffer settings on the same computer.

So my hypothetical vst playing rig would be a modest desktop cpu build with a rme interface.
dazastah is offline   Reply With Quote