View Single Post
Old 05-20-2019, 09:07 AM   #7
earhax
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
Hi,

You step 2 is a bit confusing, cause this will merge several items together, and so there will be no other file using that combination of items,
Step 2 allows for the capability to render several edits to a sound resulting in multiple items (i.e. trimming sections of a sound out, splicing the tail from one sound to the head of another). This way, similar to how one could make such edits in Sound Forge or another destructive editor, one could make a series of complex edits to a sound, and then create a glued file that would replace that sound, simply based on the name of the file used for the first item in that selection.

Quote:
I have a pretty close premium script for destructive editing called,

Script: X-Raym_Render selected items as new take (preserving original source file name).lua

It could be moded for replacing Render selected items as new take by Glue items independently,

BUT,

This kind of destructive workflow is maybe too... Destructive. I'm not extra cumfy with the idea of having scripts which doesn't allows undo, so I didn't share it publicly. Though it should be solid enough cause I didn't have bug report since a year on it.
I'm not concerned with the destructive nature of this workflow as this is the desired behavior. Any time this function would be used it would replace the original file. However, since I'm dealing with files in source control (as I'm sure many others are as well), any accidental destructive edits could be undone simply by reverting the file.

Sound Forge and other destructive editors lack the power and complexity of what we can do with REAPER. But REAPER lacks the ability to overwrite original files. This functionality would allow me to check out files being used in a Wwise project, open them in REAPER (via ReaOpen), quickly run a batch process using scripting or other actions to make desired changes to the files, and replace the original files without needing to manually copy and replace the files via a file manager (Finder/Explorer).

The reason this is important and useful is that I often times will be working on a different computer that doesn't have all of the same plugins as my main workstation. I will need to quickly make some basic changes to source files in Wwise. If I open the source project, I can't simply make the changes in the original project and re-render the sounds without all of the plugins being installed. But if I edit the source files being used in Wwise directly and overwrite them with the edited content, then the sounds are preserved with the mastering as they were last rendered, and the editing process is as quick and seamless as it would be had I opened the files in Sound Forge to make the edits (eliminating the tedious file management step in the middle that is currently required with editing source in REAPER), yet allowing me to use the full power of REAPER for these edits.

And by adding the other steps I detailed, this functionality would also allow for one to simultaneously replace the source file content used by other items in a project as well. For example, if you wanted to quickly raise the gain for a sound used in several other areas of a project after doing so for just one item using that sound, or if you wanted to process a sound with some new effect/FX chain and apply the same process to every other instance of that sound being used in your project, this would allow you to do just that.

I suppose, for safety's sake, it would be beneficial to add a prompt showing the full path and filename of the file that would be replaced that would need to be acknowledged before running the script and replacing the original file. Or perhaps there could be an added step to create a backup of the original file in the REAPER project folder just in case anything went wrong with replacing the original sound (this would also allow for an 'undo' by then replacing the original source with the backup file). But aside from those optional precautionary steps, I feel that this sort of destructive editing functionality is one of the few blind spots in REAPER, and a feature that I find myself sorely missing since migrating to REAPER from Pro Tools.
earhax is offline   Reply With Quote