Thread: Post fader FX
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2009, 06:24 PM   #44
Mr. Data
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakey.oberon View Post
It is an issue, because you can't send audio pre fx on an instrument channel, but you can on an audio channel, thats the issue, its a restriction
There are no distinct instrument channels, audio channels or MIDI channels in Reaper. They simply don't exist. It's all the same. And as I wrote before there is also no distinction between FX (VST/DX) and instruments (VSTi/DXi).

If you have a track with audio and have put a delay into the fx chain, you can branch the audio (pre-fx), the audio with delay (post-fx) and the audio with dalay (post-fader, post-pan). If you now exchange the delay with a softsynth, you simply can't branch off the signal of the softsynth pre-fx, because the signal isn't created at this stage yet.

So if you now have a chain where right after the VSTi comes a VST (maybe a synth and a chorus) you can't branch between them, but there's no need to, because if you create a send anyway that goes to another track, why would you put the VST right behind the VSTi instead of just creating another send to a third track and put the VST there?

I can't see whichever audio signal that goes into Reaper can't be mixed with any other signal that's played back by Reaper or created by some plugin. You can route *every* signal *anywhere* and mix it with *every* other. This is Reaper's paradigm. That's how it works, not a workaround. But: many things are not done like in Sonar or other DAWs.

So would you point me to the restriction you see?
What am I missing?

-Data
Mr. Data is offline   Reply With Quote