View Single Post
Old 06-09-2018, 12:31 PM   #16
serr
Human being with feelings

Guitarist here. So, the perspective of playing with an e-drummer.

I've played with two people who had the Roland club kit.
Playing live with sounds that are decidedly NOT natural drum sounds is the best! Trying to play with someone who is trying to simulate real drum sounds with an e-drum kit is the worst!

I suppose if you really went to town with a live monitor system (as in true audiophile quality) and got simulated real drum sounds dialed in... well it would be more work than mic'ing up real drums at the end of the day I think.

Unnatural or processed sounds are god-like. Simulated real drums sounds come across as cheesy. The best of both worlds is a real drum kit with electronics added for a hybrid kit.

Having said that, there will be a lot of situations where the simulated real drum sounds still shine (well enough). It would be better than real drums gone wrong (anything from damage, poorly tuned, poorly mic'd, cheap mics, etc). The "proper" thing to do might be getting a better mic but the e-drums will give you bang for the buck. Skimp on the live monitor system though and the simulated drum sounds are cheesy as hell!
serr is offline   Reply With Quote