View Single Post
Old 01-17-2018, 04:04 PM   #24
jcjr
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
I even implemented a correction filter on my Monitor FX in Reaper using ReaEQ. It required that I come up with the math to convert Q to Octaves, which I built into an Excel spreadsheet for future use. The math is fairly non-trivial, so I didn't want to have to reinvent it again someday...

I considered using the phase-linear option in ReaFIR to do the EQ, but it was much simpler to enter it into ReaEQ... I can't say it sounds better or worse; I'll have to switch it in and out while mixing for a while to see if it is beneficial. I suspect it will be.
I've enjoyed ReaEQ for a couple of years for amateur mastering old songs. Also practiced with ReaFIR for awhile but finally found it easier for me to get "predictable results" or easier to achieve what I wanted with ReaEQ.

It may be a rather common use of ReaEQ, but the concept fairly "new to me" to stack and overlap peaking filter bands, rather than use a few bands "fairly separate from each other except overlapping band boundaries" as one would use a multi-band hardware parametric EQ or graphic EQ.

If stacking and overlapping numerous bands one would be cautious of the cumulative phase response maybe getting so extreme that it somehow affects the quality of the music. But sometimes the phase plot can get very weird indeed without (to my ear) adversely affecting the music.

For instance (amateur mastering example)-- If bass below 100 Hz needs a bit of overall boost but near 80 Hz too strong and near 44 Hz unusually weak (though 44 Hz signal does exist in the music and therefore can be boosted)-- Using the first peaking filter, raise the entire bass level a bit with a 1 to 2 octave wide slight boost centered perhaps 63 Hz. Then bring up the low bass a little more with a second narrower peaking filter at about 40 or 44 Hz. Then control the too-strong signal around 80 Hz (made even worse with the first two mild boosts) with a third peaking filter fairly narrow cut around 80 Hz.

I first expected such "overkill" of overlapping peaking filters would do more damage than good, but used carefully conservatively seems easier to get good results than trying to keep each EQ band "fairly non-overlapping except at the boundaries". I used similar methods straightening out errant mids or highs.

Its been awhile since looking at REW auto-EQ output, but think I recall that REW will similarly sometimes prescribe overlapping EQ bands.
jcjr is offline   Reply With Quote