View Single Post
Old 05-14-2019, 10:16 AM   #26
clepsydrae
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald View Post
I think mass would normally being the answer, except you're going to have the drums coupled to the floor. I think you'd want to have a platform+air gap with a minimal contact with the floor (ala speaker stand spikes)
Maybe i'm missing something, but I can't see how spikes would decouple anything. Same total force over less surface area = same coupling, probably more since the spike digs in as opposed to e.g. sitting on carpet?

That said, I can see how some of the flexion of the platform-on-spikes would absorb some sound that otherwise would have transmitted through, so maybe the spikes do gain something there... seems like it'd be better to put it on something springy at the four corners, rather than use spikes, though.

Given that the OP said the drums don't come up in to the attic when played below, implying that most of the sound is transmitted through the floor as opposed to the air, I think some kind of platform solution is the way to go for bang/buck ratio, as opposed to mass loading the entire attic floor (though it wouldn't hurt, as long as the floor can safely sustain the weight.)

Quote:
Least amount of coupling + most mass possible.
Agreed on that. Though if the platform is totally decoupled (i.e. suspended), the mass isn't needed.
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote