View Single Post
Old 12-12-2010, 08:45 PM   #98
lawrs
Human being with feelings

Has this issue been addressed in v4alpha11?

[img]http://img833.**************/img833/5074/shiftclick.gif[/img]

Where shift + left click (after time selection end point) = expand time selection end point to clicked position

but shift + left click (before time selection start point =
moves entire time selection

AdamWathan's video explains it the best.

http://www.adamwathan.com/reaper/pttimeshiftclick.swf

This unpredictable behavior gets me all the time. Please have a look at this. I've seen other users also bringing this issue up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazgoldstar View Post
Hey Lawrs,

I am having the same frustrations you are having with the inconsistent shift + time selection. I have found a workaround using custom actions but otherwise I am completely at a loss to understand the current implementation. I think it is important for Reaper to improve on its predictable behaviour if it is to successfully encourage new users who like me grew sick of Logic/Cubase's inconsistencies.

Cool,

Gaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Yes, IMHO if I click to the left of time selection with a Shift+click, I would also like the left edge of the time selection to be extended, and NOT change the whole time selection instead! It is the most logical thing there is. Same goes for Shift+selecting items as Adam pointed above, this is how an awful lot of applications behave with Shift selections, so why not Reaper as well?

Optional, please! (In fact I'd even say completely replace the old behavior because it's not really good. )

Well, yours get sound as well, which is even cooler and gets to the point faster as you can comment additionally as you show the issue. LICEcap can't record audio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
So basically, what we need for Shift+click selections (ALL of them), are two options as I see it:

1. Shift+click always adds to selection (no matter the direction)
2. Shift+click adds to selection around a center point (standard Explorer/Finder behavior).

And make these selections CONSISTENT throughout Reaper's UI. Currently only TCP and MCP (and FX chain window - though SWS Tracklist actually works like #1, gotta notify Tim about it) seem to have #2 working correctly as I see it.

Amirite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kundalinguist View Post
It's anarchy! The left side doesn't know what the right is doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
I agree with AW that there is inconsistency and I would support that, but I would also ask that any change would be optional (as was suggested by J above). Optional and accessible by modifier...

>
Again, I know that there's workarounds to changing time selection start (shift + left click n drag), click on start time selection locator and drag.. action keys, etc.. These workarounds work very well, but the issue remains.. left vs right time selection expansion is different. I would really appreciate it if there's an additional option to not change end time selection point when changing left time selection point.
lawrs is offline   Reply With Quote