View Single Post
Old 09-08-2017, 08:49 AM   #7
sostenuto
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
I agree the upgrade price to what they call Standard is steep. Thing is you don't need Standard!

You probably don't need what they call "Standard" as Stage does so much!
You only need "Standard" if you want pianoteq specific tuning tech that isn't available on the sample products out there anyway.

Try the demo of Stage. I have tried Standard twice now and frankly even in 30% off sales I find the upgrade price a little steep for what you get compared to the options of generation upgrading (5-6 and so on) and individual piano models.
The microphone positioning tech in "Standard" is unique to Pianoteq. I might upgrade for that in another sale but given the options in presets and ability to tune the sound with reverb and EQ....meh, it can wait, if at all.

In stage you get a bucket-load of presets which relate to choice microphone positions. you can then adjust sounds within the convolution reverb and effects/EQ section. That relates to what you can do in any sample library - though you actually get far less microphone positions in sample libraries than you do even in Pianoteq Stage because they would all rely on another set of 24/48 24/96 samples.

Standard and Pro offer good things but most will not need them. Certainly it shouldn't put you off the product entirely.
It is as if the perception is Stage = value/budget brand and that puts some off trying at all, this is silly. It is not sonically inferior, it's just got a few less options.
Looks like Stage only includes D & K2 so Grotrian adds $59. ... not huge, but is key to my decision to purchase. Seems like in past, they have been unwilling to substitute.

Will surely try Demo now for 6.
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote