View Single Post
Old 09-11-2017, 02:48 AM   #44
tzzsmk
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
Don't know if it's been mentioned, but being able to put reaper on a usb drive and run your personally configured version on any system is very refreshing. Non DRM protected plugin travel with it, and DRM protected plugins that don't travel can be installed on the host systems.
yes this is a very convenient thing, plus the settings is a common text config file, so can be adjusted without need to start the software (which helps a LOT when problems arise)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald View Post
1) Do you like how Itunes works?
2) Do you like forced Windows updates?
3) Do you like the Fun New Norm, Adobe's trend setting "subscription model"?

If you answered no to any of those 3, Reaper is your only future.
companies massively jumping (or should I say falling?) into clouds is a very unfortunate in my opinion, sure there are pros and cons of anything, but this just doesn't work,
been at Adobe conference, took place at cinema complex, where lack of connectivity basically showed how creative cloud becomes useless piece of sh!t as soon as internet connection goes off,
windows updates are another major problem (mainly due to the fact windows itself is designed non-reliably, so in case of basically any failure, system becomes unbootable), also idle state detection mechanisms obviously do not work well yet (tested various download/network/render/batch tasks, windows 10 just carelessly reboots),
the very appealing thing about Reaper is it doesn't need any network access for stable long-term reliable operation (compared to for ex. Cakewalk Sonar, which used to be my DAW before introduction of subscription licensing system, where at initial stages the lack of connectivity switched software into demo mode which meant saving became disabled) - again internet being cause no.1 source for "problems" (be it malware or any other undesired system alteration), most studios crucial workstations are not tied to outer network at all