View Single Post
Old 11-03-2015, 02:01 PM   #6
Nystagmus
Human being with feelings

Default Please test MIDI input quantization

Please test MIDI input quantization for 16th and 32nd notes.

I have discovered recently that input quantization always messes up my performances. It didn't happen until Reaper got to version 5.

The way I cope with it now is that I turn it off, record everything and then go back and do quantization within the MIDI editor which DOES work.

By studying how accurate my timing is before quantization I've realised that my performance playing is pretty good and just needs minor amounts of quantization, usually to 16th notes.

However, when I engage input quantization, not only do the note timings come out wrong, but I get stuck (held) notes also which makes the recordings worthless. So the problem is compound: stuck notes on input quantize, and failed/wrong quantization on input quantize.

I only quantize note positions. I don't allow notes to shrink/grow.

Reaper developers, please run some tests on this in your labs. I think you might find some bugs there.
As I said before, the problem didn't happen until the upgrade to version 5 of REAPER.

But if you fail to reproduce the problems, it's important to know that I'm running REAPER on Ubuntu Studio Linux v14.04.3 via Wine v1.7.50 at Windows XP mode.

And like I said, non-input, normal quantization functions are working fine.
Nystagmus is offline   Reply With Quote