View Single Post
Old 03-29-2021, 03:21 PM   #42
Markcastle_
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazma View Post
Well perhaps different people mean different things by smooth scrolling.

For me it means non-stepped scrolling, like the trackpad. The only mouse I have used that seems capable of that is the Apple Magic Mouse, not even mice with free scrolling mode seem to support this.

But as said (almost) all apps on Mac, including DAWs, support this non-stepped scrolling. And in my opinion an app released for macOS is expected to support this as the standard Apple mouse (or trackpad) is surely the most commonly used pointing device among Mac users.

For me continuous, pixel-smooth scrolling is way less eye-straining than steps (even small ones) and I dare to say that this also plays some part of what draws people into the macOS ecosystem and gives them the feeling of a smooth, polished, user-friendly system - after all Apple is often associated with bringing the now ubiquitous smooth touchscreen swiping experience to the market with their Iphone. If an app does not support this it is very noticeable and disruptive and it somewhat gives the feeling that for example Reaper on Mac is more of an afterthought, even tough it otherwise performs greatly and almost bug-free (even better than Apple's own DAW).
Yeah, I'm using an MX Anywhere 2, with Infinite Scroll (or Mag Speed, or whatever you wanna call it), and my mousewheel can scroll all the way continuously (I can select between two modes, one without, as I said, and one with discrete steps).

While in browser and in all apps (most of it) I can actually benefit from using that badass wheel, in Reaper, I just cannot.

I know in Macs there's a different "technology" and an inertia option (I believe that was its name...?), but even if Windows doesn't support that feature, I'd at least prefer to smooth scroll (both vertical and horizontal, plus zooming) like I do in other apps and programs, but I simply can't, cause Reaper scrolling it's forced to be with these mentioned graduate steps (probably a whise choice due to performance reasons).

So I hope they can add an option to use smooth scrolling, in all direction, plus zooming.
Markcastle_ is offline   Reply With Quote