View Single Post
Old 12-02-2018, 12:24 AM   #2
mschnell
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviTudios View Post
I need to capture MIDI CC and note-on across many channels, from multiple devices. I need to be able to keep track of from which device they came.
Reaper features the concept of "Midi Buses" which under the hood is an extension to the the Midi channel by another four bits (Bus 1..16). This might help to keep track of your Midi sources while routing Midi in Reaper.
Quote:
I need to be able to redirect some of that MIDI to other external devices
Reaper Midi routing can use Midi hardware devices at a target
Quote:
I need to be able to open FX windows so that I can have my knobs affect one effect at a time
I don't understand what you mean by this.
Quote:
I need to be able to read...
Stuff like this should be discussed in the "Control Surface" subforum here.
Quote:
I need to store global data so that I can keep track of state that I use in MIDI routing
I don't see what you mean (other than just storing the Reaper project, and using the undo log).
Quote:
JSFX gives me MIDI preprocessing and the ability to route to buses, but I'm not exactly sure where it would need to belong in my FX lineup. Would the preprocessing work even if I have a different FX focused?
In the "Live" subforum many aspects of using JSFX in an "embedded" way (independent from the Reaper GUI) are discussed.
In fact JSFX does not (directly) provide means to "route buses". But stuff like this is frequently done in "Live" setups, by means of the "LiveConfigs" tool, and by stuff like "Midi Fade X" that automates the audio gain before tracks are mixed. (You might want to read the introductory thread in the "Live" subforum for explanations.)
Quote:
LUA can then tweak sliders
Lua is just one language "Reascripts" can be done in. Others are EEL and Python. But JSFXes only can be done in EEL, hence if you want to do both, I recommend EEL, so that you don't need to bother with different languages.
Keep in mind that "Reasctipts" work globally (like somebody watching the Reaper GUI and performs actions in same), but they don't easily "see" Midi, while JSFXes work like VST plugins within a track on the Midi and Audio streams. Hence a completely different realm. "MidiToReaControlPath" and "Slider to Midi PS" are tools provided to create interconnections between theses realms.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 12-02-2018 at 03:45 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote