View Single Post
Old 08-31-2018, 06:06 AM   #5
zacki
Human being with feelings

Thank you goldenarpharazon and mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenarpharazon View Post
If you are sending MIDI over a classic serial MIDI cable then you should see no issues if the cable itself is not overloaded.
If you are sending MIDI over USB then anything is perhaps possible with buffers and fast streams.
Here are some suggestions to help:-
SysEx messages are only sent/received via USB. Using the consoles 5-pole MIDI connectors and SysEx is not possible. I didn't know that before. (So, my final plan to use an Arduino µC as "gateway" are foiled anyways...)

Quote:
- You may be pushing the boundaries of OSCII-bot which has only fairly recently had SYSEX support added. Expect to do your own research since few may have been before you.....
I think I've hit the limits on receiving SysEx with OSCII-bot.

Quote:
- Add SYSEX traffic incrementally which tips a reliably working implementation into the point of errors happening. Same for adding code.
Hm... Currently I'm not sure if I want to invest more time when these are the limits of OSCII-bot. My plan was also to use the console meter data and then there's much more data to process.

Quote:
- Does the behaviour change if you don't look via MIDIOX, thus changing the
timings or if you intentionally load up your CPU?
That's what I thought at first, too. But it makes no difference if MIDIOX is open or not.

Quote:
- Use time_precise() function in log messages to see what is going on in your code
time_precise() shows that there are only a few µs between the messages (see screenshot). But one time there's a step of several ms! I think that's the point when full receive often fails.

Quote:
I suppose OSCIIBot will only hit limits speed in very rare cases.

EEL is a compiled language and super fast, as it's designed for realtime audio calculation.

So if you have some not too exotic EEL software in OSCIIBot between USB-Midi and a Network, there should be no practical problem.
I agree on sending (see screenshot) SysEx but not on receiving.

Time between Rx messages:

Time between Tx messages from OSCII-bot: